Although it is perhaps onerous to recollect generally, social media is about way more than information, adverts, and branded content material. Its unique goal, again when it started 14 or 15 years in the past, was to attach individuals and convey them collectively—and all through the previous yr of quarantining and social distancing, we’ve witnessed that greater than ever. At its greatest, social media is an area the place individuals can share tales, take heed to the experiences of others, and construct communities.
However, as everyone knows too properly, social media has additionally proven a a lot darker facet. In simply the previous 12 months, we’ve seen advertising boycotts, a presidential election, and the politicization of a world pandemic all contribute to social media’s toxicity and divisiveness. Mix that with the truth that the “evaluate and despair” impact of social media has been proven to trigger psychological well being points, and it’s no shock that 41 percent of Gen Z social media customers say that social media makes them really feel unhappy, anxious, or depressed. As a mother or father of youngsters, I’ve witnessed issues like cyberbullying, on-line threats of violence, and social media obsession firsthand.
Social media has made it simpler than ever to unfold hate. Nevertheless it’s simply as simple to unfold pleasure.
My firm, Likeable, has a mission to create a extra likeable world. And, as a social media company, we’ve been doing that for over a decade by serving to manufacturers create sensible, quick, and likeable social content material. However we knew that there was much more we may do, each as a corporation and as people—as a result of social media is about way more than algorithms and advert spend.
So, in 2019, we launched #BeLikeableDay: a world motion devoted to creating social media a extra constructive setting by collective acts of kindness on-line. To date, #BeLikeableDay has reached virtually 90 million individuals throughout conventional and social media, with participation from 45 international locations around the globe. And we’re thrilled to be doing it once more this yr for the third yr in a row!
Yearly, on February twenty sixth, we ask everybody around the globe to take a couple of minutes out of their day to put up a minimum of one good factor on social media. When you’re concerned about becoming a member of the motion, click here to signal the pledge—and unfold the phrase by sharing this put up with individuals you care about. Oh, and in the event you want some concepts for what you are able to do to unfold kindness on-line on #BeLikeableDay, right here you go:
1. Pay a good friend a praise. It’s really easy to really feel self-conscious and insecure on social media, the place everybody is ideal (or a minimum of tries to be). Give somebody a confidence enhance with a easy praise or message of encouragement.
2. Promote another person’s work. All of these posts sharing “some private information” are properly and good, however what if we took a break from the self-promotion to sing another person’s praises as an alternative? Whose work has spoken to you lately? Put up about it.
3. Give an unsolicited advice. Who’re the highest three individuals you’ve beloved working with essentially the most throughout your profession? Make their day and publish a advice on LinkedIn that explains why anybody else can be fortunate to work with them as properly.
4. Unfold the phrase about your favourite charity group. Everybody has a trigger they really feel strongly about. Take a couple of minutes to share the story of why you help that trigger and shout out your favourite charity group that helps it too.
5. Share gratitude for individuals in your life. In a sea of memes and political commentary, break by with a message of positivity by expressing gratitude for 5 individuals in your life. Not solely will you make them really feel nice, however you’ll really feel higher too.
Will you be a part of us this Friday in leaving social media higher than we discovered it?