Podcasts have gone mainstream. As of March 2020, 37 p.c of People over the age of 12 — round 104 million folks — hearken to not less than one podcast per 30 days in accordance with Edison Analysis. However podcasts are sometimes poorly optimized for engines like google.
Drive extra natural search visitors to your podcast with these 10 suggestions.
10 search engine marketing Ideas for Podcasts
1. Obsess over the message, not the tools. The worth of a podcast’s content material is paramount. Absent worth, it doesn’t matter if the recording is on a $1,000 microphone. Spend time honing the content material. Everything else is secondary.
2. Host episodes in your web site. Hyperlink authority is without doubt one of the most vital points of search engine marketing. Different websites will hyperlink to the place the podcast is hosted. You want that to be your web site, slightly than on podcast directories, corresponding to Apple Podcasts, Spotify, and Google Play.
Your podcast can stay in a listing in your ecommerce area, the place every episode has its personal web page. The fundamental anatomy of a web page ought to embody:
- An audio (or video) file;
- A picture;
- Present notes — i.e., a timestamped desk of contents to assist listeners discover highlights;
- A transcript, probably edited for size and readability.
3. Nail the title. It’s tempting to provide you with a intelligent title to your podcast. However the title is essential for natural search. Many extra listeners will seek for the podcast’s matter than its title.
Use the subject within the title of the podcast. (Ours is “Ecommerce Conversations,” for instance.) For those who will need to have a inventive title, embody each the subject and the names, corresponding to “Cinderella’s Slipper: A Girls’s Sneakers Podcast” or “The Open for Enterprise Podcast.” So long as you’ve the subject and the phrase “podcast” or equal within the title, your probabilities of being discovered by searchers are a lot larger.
4. Set key phrase themes for episodes. Begin with the keyword research you’ve executed to your web site. Then prolong the analysis into question-and-answer and how-to areas. Don’t be afraid to comply with tangents. They will result in wealthy veins of key phrase information you may not have discovered in any other case.
Use the key phrases in an episode’s title in addition to its audio or video. That may guarantee these phrases are within the essential search engine marketing parts: title tag, URL, and transcript.
5. Transcribe to textual content. Take the time to incorporate the textual parts that engines like google can index simply and deeply. Many listeners will admire the complete textual content, particularly those that need to quote an episode or hyperlink to it.
6. Double down with video. You’re already recording audio. Flip a digicam on and seize the video, too. YouTube is the world’s second-largest search engine. Listeners go there to eat podcasts. For those who can’t bear to be on video, contemplate setting the audio monitor to a video of nonetheless pictures.
7. Use the content material in all places. Your podcast is content material advertising gold. Use parts of it the place you market your merchandise, all the time linking again to an episode.
Share quotes and pictures on social media. Write a weblog put up — or two or three — on attention-grabbing points of the podcast. Embody each episode in an e mail publication. Attain out to related influencers to pitch your episode. Use snippets to reply questions on Quora, boards, and social media. You possibly can even use video snippets in social media promoting.
The hot button is the hyperlink to an episode web page in your web site. All of these hyperlinks build authority. Search bots will comply with the hyperlinks, enhancing authority. And people will click on the hyperlinks and have interaction with the content material, which might lead to extra hyperlinks.
8. Distribute broadly. Podcast directories use your RSS feed to find episodes and ship them to their listeners. Each listing you submit your podcast to features a hyperlink again to your web site if you host the podcast your self. These directories are usually authoritative. Hyperlinks from them are worthwhile additions to your backlink profile. Furthermore, each podcast listing has its personal following. Submitting to just one or two means lacking out on the hyperlinks and listeners from all of the others.
On the very least, submit your podcast to the massive three: Apple Podcasts, Spotify, and Google Play. After that, contemplate Stitcher, TuneIn, Soundcloud, Podcaster, and dozens of others you’ll discover in a Google search.
9. Interview influencers. An influencer is anybody who attracts an viewers to your podcast matter. It may very well be trade colleagues or clients (who use your merchandise). An influencer might point out her look in your podcast to her listeners and readers, possible triggering extra hyperlinks and growing your natural search authority.
10. Be constant. Set a sensible schedule and persist with it. The extra you publish, although, the quicker you’ll see outcomes. Like a weblog, you might want to provide and promote tens of episodes earlier than you acquire a lot traction.
Contemplate posting a couple of episode at launch. In the event that they like your podcast, listeners might binge on a few episodes and share their discovery with the remainder of the world.